To stop your email from being deleted you really need to know, so ask regularly. And having asked, act upon what they tell you! These are my top ten customer needs, identified over the years, to help you start the process.
- Protect them – keep their data safe and don’t sell it on.
- Make them feel like you know them – start to build a picture about them by engaging in a two way communication process.
- Help them – make sure your content helps them save time, money or reduces activity that frustrates them.
- Promise them – be very clear about what you say and always live up to the expectations you set, whether that be content of the communication or quality of your products or services.
- Make it easy for them to respond – whether that’s to forward, unsubscribe, purchase, reply or block. Don’t lead them on a wild goose chase clicking through numerous web pages, keep it succinct.
- Educate them – tell them something relevant and interesting that they don’t already know, but may appreciate. A little learning in a ‘sound bite’ always goes down well.
- Grab their attention – the subject line must persuade them to open the email, this is an absolute must.
- Ask them – if you want to change the frequency or content and get their permission, this will help build a trusting relationship.
- Give them options – let them choose what they want to receive from you rather than taking a one size fits all approach.
- Free them – make it easy for them to change the information content they receive from you or to unsubscribe if that’s what they want to do.
Follow these ten top tips, build your list and watch your sales grow.